Divorce Counseling FAQ’s
Who is divorce counseling for?
Divorce counseling is for individuals and couples. Individuals typically come to divorce counseling when they are wanting support in making the decision about whether to divorce or not or when they are needing support before, during, and/or after the divorce process. Couples typically come to divorce counseling when they are contemplating divorce and would like support while making their decision or when the couple already knows they are going to get a divorce and would like support throughout the process.
What is divorce counseling?
At the RAD Counseling Center, your divorce counseling sessions will be tailored to your family’s specific needs; however, below we have provided you with some of the topics commonly discussed throughout the divorce counseling process.
Divorce Counseling for Couples
If you choose to come to divorce counseling as a couple, we will provide a supportive, safe environment for you and your spouse to:
- process your feelings about getting a divorce;
- discuss topics related to uncoupling, like setting boundaries and parenting;
- explore what you want your relationship to look like moving forward;
- and provide a safe environment to discuss challenging topics, like finances and co-parenting schedules.
Divorce Counseling for Individuals
If you choose to come to divorce counseling without your spouse or post-divorce, we will provide a supportive, safe environment for you to:
- process your feelings about your relationship ending;
- manage and address feeling of depression, stress, anger, guilt, anxiety, and sadness during the divorce process;
- rediscover yourself outside of your relationship;
- explore what you want your life to look like moving forward (jump back into dating or take some time to heal);
- and if you have children, how to help support them during and after the divorce.
How is divorce counseling different than working with a lawyer?
Divorce counselors do not offer legal services or legal advice.
Is divorce counseling right for me?
If you need support before, during, or after a divorce, divorce counseling could be right for you. Whether you and your spouse are still on the fence about getting a divorce, or the two of you are 100% sure, working one-on-one with a divorce counselor can help.